"I am 3/4ths Canadian, and one 4th New Englander - I had ancestors on both sides in the Revolutionary war." - Elizabeth Bishop
____________________________________________

Friday, June 21, 2013

Elizabeth Bishop's Places in New York City and Great Village

Check out a wonderful recent article, 18 June 2013, in the online Paris Review by Laura C. Mallonee, about the Elizabeth Bishop sites in New York City, "Some Realms I Owned: Elizabeth Bishop in Manhatten." The Elizabeth Bishop Society of Nova Scotia has a lovely walking tour booklet, Elizabeth Bishop's Great Village: A Self-Guide Tour, which does the same thing for her Nova Scotian childhood home. You can purchase a copy of it on the EBSNS website publications page. Tomorrow the EBSNS will launch Echoes of Elizabeth Bishop: The Elizabeth Bishop Centenary (2011) Writing Competition, at 2:00 p.m. in Great Village, Nova Scotia. The first place winner in the adult category, Australian poet Moya Pacey, is unable to attend, but she has written about her participation in this collection, "The book calls to mind the many wonderful memories I have of my time at the [Arts] Festival in Great Village in 2011. I was honoured to have my story, "My baby brother is born tonight," chosen. I was touched that a childhood memory of mine, that was potent and precious to me, had affected the judges so that they singled it out among the many exceptional stories that were submitted. The days I spent in Great Village, Nova Scotia, during the Festival engaged in the many activities and enjoying the hospitality, generosity and friendliness of the people there...are all engraved on my memory. Fine and perfect like this beautiful book." I will post some photos and an update about the launch next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment