"I am 3/4ths Canadian, and one 4th New Englander - I had ancestors on both sides in the Revolutionary war." - Elizabeth Bishop
____________________________________________

Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Christmas Present from Japan

Christmas Eve brought me in the post a beautiful gift from Elizabeth Bishop's devoted translator into Japanese, Michiru Oguchi: an album of photographs she made during her visit to Nova Scotia for the University of King's College conference "It Must Be Nova Scotia: Negotiating Place in the Writings of Elizabeth Bishop." I'd like to share it now with you.

[To enlarge the pictures, first click on the image; when the slideshow version appears right click on that image and select "view image"; then click on the resulting image to obtain the enlargement. -- JB]























































1 comment:

  1. This is the loveliest virtual visit to Great Village imaginable. Wonderful to think of it coming from Japan. I almost wish I could replay the year, just to pick up on everything I missed, and to taste again all of the delightful experiences I did have - Thank you, Sandra, John, and Suzie, for everything - what a very memorable year! and I'm delighted that the blog is continuing... and even though the centenary is gone, EB's poems miraculously continue to renew themselves....

    ReplyDelete